Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that are now known as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) which causes Corona Virus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The first outbreak of COVID-19 was reported in a food market in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. Due to its unpredictable speed of transmission, it spread all over the world and causing around 2.5 million deaths all over the world till now.
What are the symptoms of Covid-19?
Once infected with the Coronavirus the symptoms may vary from person to person. In some persons there may be no symptoms that will appear. Once you infected by the virus, it will take 2 days to 14 days to develop the symptoms. Early symptoms of COVID-19 may include a loss of smell and taste. Some other common symptoms related to COVID-19 are:
- Shortness of breath.
- Muscle ache.
People who are older and people who have existing medical conditions have higher risk of serious illness. In the above fever is the most common symptom of COVID-19.
What causes coronavirus?
Corona virus first developed in animals and the mutation occur in the virus make it capable to transmit from animals to humans and humans to human. Coronavirus transmit to one another through respiratory droplet that moves through the air when the person who infected with Coronavirus talks, exhale, cough, or sneeze. This virus can get into a person when inhale the droplet or when touch the surface or object that has the virus and touch the nose, mouth or eyes with the same hand. The virus can spread easily from person to person when they have close contact within 6 feet to 2 meters.
Coronavirus will be alive for several hours to days based on the type of surface:
- For Copper: it will last 4 hours.
- Cardboard: it will last up to 24 hours.
- Plastic and Stainless steel: 2 to 3 days.
How are Coronavirus diagnosed?
If you have symptoms that specific to Coronavirus infection, you should get in touch with your local health care departments for COVID testing. There are different types of tests that can done which are as follows:
- Swab test: In this test the sample will take from your nose or throat using a special swab.
- Nasal Aspirate: In this test the sample will take from the nose by injecting a saline solution to the nose and with a light suction.
- Tracheal Aspirate: In this case a bronchoscope is put into your mouth to reach your lungs to collect the sample.
- Sputum Test: In this test you are requires to cough up sputum in a special cup or swab to take the sample.
- Blood Test: In this test blood sample will take for test.
Click on the below link for a self check-up to find whether you have the symptoms of COVID-19
How to prevent Coronavirus
Getting vaccinated and social distancing are the key part of COVID-19 prevention. You should also consider the following prevention methods.
- Cover your nose and mouth in public: Use a mask when you go out. Masks will work as a barrier against the virus to get into your respiratory system through mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands: you should wash your hands with soap and water or use a alcohol based sanitizer. This will kill the viruses on your body.
- Avoid touching your face frequently: Coronavirus can live on the surfaces up to 4 hours to 3 days. When you touch a surface which have Coronavirus, it may get on your hands and when you touch your face, they can get into your body.
- Sanitize your surroundings: You have to sanitize the surfaces you touch like table, doorknobs etc. You can use soap and water, Alcohol based sanitizer, bleach etc.
Post COVID conditions
Once you infected with Coronavirus, you’ll get better if you don’t have any sever medical conditions. Some people experience post-COVID conditions which lasts from weeks to months. Some of the symptoms as follows:
Loss of taste and smell