What is Deep Web and Dark Web? | How to access it using Tor Browser?
There are many who uses the words deep web and dark web interchangeably without knowing their proper meaning. This article will help you to understand the difference between deep web and dark web and how to access them.
Note: This article is for educational purposes only.
What is Deep web?
Deep web or hidden web is a part of world wide web (WWW) but not indexed by traditional search engines like Google, Bing, etc. The content that we can have access through search engines is coming from the surface web which is only around 4% of world wide web. The remaining 96% is deep web.
There is a misconception that all the parts of deep web are dark web. It’s not true. The major difference between the surface web and deep web is that deep web is protected by a security layer so that it can’t be accessed or indexed by the search engine. This is necessary because the deep web contains many confidential data like personal account details. private networks, websites, or forums that required authentication, etc. If there is no protection layer in deep web the search engines can easily dig up the private files and information.
What is Dark Web?
Dark Web is a subset of Deep Web. As the name means this part of the deep web is really a hotspot for criminal activities. Dark web can’t be accessed through normal web browsers instead of that we use Tor browser or torified network to access the Dark Web. We don’t know the exact size of the dark web but the majority of the web content in dark web is related to illegal activities like drug trading, illegal porn, Buying and selling of various things like weapons, hacked accounts, fake credit cards, etc.
What is Tor Browser?
Tor is a free open source software that helps you to route all the web traffic through the Tor network that will help you to be anonymous on the world wide web. Tor browser also gives access to the .onion websites.
Now let’s see how Tor works
When a user connects to a website using tor, before it reaches the destination all outgoing traffic will be rerouted through a series of random nodes (called relays). There will be an entry node that connects to your computer and an exit node that leads to the destination. The traffic will be encrypted multiple times before passing through the nodes and decrypted (not fully) before reaching the destination. The IP address of each node will be encrypted and the destination website will receive only the exit node’s IP address. in this way, the anonymity of a Tor user will be ensured.
How to use Tor?
To use the Tor, you need a browser that capable of interact with the Tor network. Tor Browser is the most popular in the list which is a Tor Project distribution. Tor Browser can be downloaded from the tor project website https://www.torproject.org. after installation, you are ready to dive into the depths of the world wide web.
Watch the Tutorial video